www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Apache License 2.0
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:00:08 GMT
I recently had the opportunity to discuss "The License" with someone
who had a very different understanding of this part of the license:

You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices
from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not
pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and

He said that in his opinion, as long as The License appeared somewhere
in the Derivative Work Source distribution, it satisfied the license
terms. He said that a NOTICE file somewhere in the source distribution
was sufficient.

I said that to me, the terms mean that the source files themselves,
not the NOTICE file elsewhere, needed to retain the license. It was ok
to add other licensing information to each file, but the original
license notice needed to be retained.

Do we need to rephrase the license terms, to specifically require that
the license text needs to be retained *in each file* of the Source
form of the work? Or is the alternative interpretation just fine?

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!