www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:52:11 GMT
No, it is not correct.  Thank you for pointing out where the bad advice
is coming from on our website.

NOTICES is for mandatory attributions *only*.  The kind of things you
expect to see in an About... box when required by the licensed component
or by the CCLA or software grant.  It should not contain any horizontal
rules (or anything else that isn't strictly necessary).  The only bits
that this one should contain are:

    Apache Shindig
    Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation

    This product includes software (Gadget Server, Gadget Container)
    originally developed by Google Inc. (http://code.google.com/) and
    licensed to the ASF as the initial contribution for Shindig.

A "copyright notice" is the one line that says "Copyright YYYY ...".
It does not include the copyright license header.  It should not be
moved unless its movement is requested by the owner of the file.

....Roy