www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:15:33 GMT
--- "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> > This is just personal opinion here so there is no
> > right answer, but
> > I don't really agree with this sentiment. If your
> > employer decided,
> > despite your objections, that it wasn't OK to
> > require your
> > customers to install Hibernate themselves, nor did
> > they wish to
> > distribute it, you would be faced with 2 choices:
> > a) don't use the
> > ASF software or b) modify it to not depend on
> > Hibernate.
>
> Why is that our problem?  Our mission is to supply
> free software to the public, not self-interested
> corporations that make a profit on our work.  We
> don't mind if they do, but it is not our mission
> to support their needs.

+1.  How would you have liked the ASF to handle the
Roller situation?  Personally I would have been ok
with Roller continuing to distribute Hibernate within
their tarball, so long as the LICENSE file was
correct.  I would have preferred to see someone other
than the core devs for Roller contribute a patch
to remove, or make optional, the Hibernate dependency,
but instead we tasked the Roller devs with that for
reasons which aren't exactly clear to me.  I mean,
if the Roller devs moved to JDO of their own free
will, that's fine, but if they did it just to
please the ASF, it's not, IMO.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs