www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Adding code from unicode.org --> Lucene Java
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:03:55 GMT

I'd like to incorporate unicode conversion code from here:

into Lucene java.

It has a copyright that looks very "friendly", though I'm no lawyer.  I
think I just need to add the following blurb (see below) to Lucene's
NOTICE.txt file.

Does this look OK?  Is there anything else I should do to make sure we
are legally sound?

Addition to NOTICE.txt:

Some code in src/java/org/apache/lucene/util/UnicodeUtil.java was
derived from unicode conversion examples available at
http://www.unicode.org/Public/PROGRAMS/CVTUTF.  Here is the copyright
from those sources:

  * Copyright 2001-2004 Unicode, Inc.
  * Disclaimer
  * This source code is provided as is by Unicode, Inc. No claims are
  * made as to fitness for any particular purpose. No warranties of any
  * kind are expressed or implied. The recipient agrees to determine
  * applicability of information provided. If this file has been
  * purchased on magnetic or optical media from Unicode, Inc., the
  * sole remedy for any claim will be exchange of defective media
  * within 90 days of receipt.
  * Limitations on Rights to Redistribute This Code
  * Unicode, Inc. hereby grants the right to freely use the information
  * supplied in this file in the creation of products supporting the
  * Unicode Standard, and to make copies of this file in any form
  * for internal or external distribution as long as this notice
  * remains attached.

official ASF policies and documents.