www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache License 2.0
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:07:08 GMT
I contacted Eben Moglen of the SFLC and his response is that the
document [1] covers the case of an Apache License, Version 2.0 license
being incorporated into a GPL work.

Just have to read it a few times.

SInce there's nothing new here, I don't see that advising FSF about
the existence of a 6 month old public document is necessary.

Craig

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/248223/

On Mar 30, 2008, at 4:05 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 13:51 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> 3) I would be glad to ask the SFLC to get involved.  But be aware
>> that
>> the request would be to have them draft language which indicates
>> exactly how one incorporates Works licensed under Apache License,
>> Version 2.0 into a code base that is licensed subject to the terms of
>> either the GNU General Public License Version 2 only ("GPL") or the
>> Common Development and Distribution License("CDDL").
>
> involving the SFLC would be a good move
>
> i do not think that we need to presuppose that they will judge that
> AL2.0'd code can be reasonably incorporated into a GPL2.0'd
> codebase. we
> should therefore ask them to draft guidance on the subject covering
> when
> and whether it is possible, and (if or when possible) the right way to
> do it.
>
> AIUI the FSF is of the opinion that AL2.0 cannot be incorporated
> into a
> work licensed under the GPL. it would be courteous to inform them were
> we to take this to the SFLC.
>
> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com