www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Summarizing how we dot the i's
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:05:03 GMT
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> In Larry's talk today at OSBC, the subject of what Apache do beyond
>  the usual level of a SF.net project came up and I didn't think we had
>  anything on a single page that someone could be pointed to to get the
>  full picture of what we do.
>
>  Here's a draft, very very weak now I'm sure, listing the bits that we do.
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/process-draft.html
>
>  Any thoughts on:
>
>  a) Adding a drafts/ directory to SVN to put this stuff in rather than
>  living in ~foo.
>  b) Whether this page should exist? [maybe there already is one that I
>  just can't find?]
>  c) What needs to be improved on this page. I'm sure it needs a lot of
>  work to i) get it all in there and ii) make sure we're not overstating
>  anything.

One scenario not covered - and perhaps its not permitted - what about
if someone wants to copy some code from another source that has a
permissable license? For example Spring is licensed under AL 2.0 - so
in theory I could copy some Spring code into an ASF project with no
problem. I guess the answer would be "go ask the spring people to sign
a CLA" - but what happens if I get no response from Spring?
License-wise this is OK - but I guess/assume policy wise its not
allowed by the ASF?

A couple of other comments about the Incubator references in the
"Outgoing code" section - which I think for anyone not aware of what
the incubator does may be confusing/distracting:
1) I would remove the clarification that about the IPMC being the
releasing body from the main paragraph and make it a sub-note
2) I don't think its necessary to metion that the RAT tool is an
incubating podling

Also Point IV only refers only to JIRA issue tracking. We still have
projects using Bugzilla where AFAIK there is no 'Grant license to ASF"
checkbox - but we still accept contributions that way.

Niall