www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Crypto notice on download pages?
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:34:03 GMT
sebb wrote:
> The page:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html
>
> has a link entitled:
>
> "4. Inform users with a crypto notice in the distribution's README and
> download pages."
>
> however, the target of the link:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform
>
> only describes the README changes, and does not cover download pages.
>
> Is the link title wrong, or is there some missing information about
> what needs to be put on the download pages?

I think it's a bit varied, so it is less than trivial.  But we have just
a couple of cases ("binary distribution includes OpenSSL"... "binary
distribution includes BouncyCastle"... "requires JSSE support .jars"...)
that I think we could add those general cases to the examples.

The example on the httpd download page is very simple...

* Win32 Binary without crypto (no mod_ssl) (MSI Installer):
* Win32 Binary including OpenSSL 0.9.8g (MSI Installer):

By rights a more general statement that the sources can be compiled with
cryptography should probably be added, but this is a start.

Bill