www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:33:16 GMT

Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Then can anyone on the committee actually
> answer my question and produce a list of
> licenses in category X which satisfy criterion #2?
> Does the question not make any sense, or is
> it just not worth answering?

The problem is that it seems new licenses pop up all the time. I think
the way it will work is that project X will want to use something with
license Y. They will pose the question here or on legal internal and
also post it to the wiki. When the license is evaluated it should then
make its way to the list.

>> Instead, it is how the dependencies get used,
>> whether they are required
>> or optional, what restrictions they may place on the
>> users of our
>> software, etc. where the real mess is.
>>
>> It sounds like we are pretty much on the same page
>> now, that there are
>> probably many cases where having dependencies on
>> LGPL'd stuff is OK. But
>> there are almost certainly as many cases where we
>> probably don't want to
>> do it or would recommend that it be done
>> differently.
>>

> I think we all agree that the "Servicemix on JBOSS"
> situation is one the legal-affairs committee should
> approve.  Does Servicemix require any additional
> instructions from the committee other than to license
> the glue code under the Apache License?

I'd answer that if I was actually on the committee. As I said, I've just
been following this list for years and learning as I go. I think I've
made my opinion pretty clear. ServiceMix should license their code under
the Apache license and make it available here. They should also make it
crystal clear that the user of the Hibernate adapter needs to adhere to
the LGPL with respect to Hibernate (or at least Hibernate's
interpretation of the LGPL).

Ralph