www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:37:41 GMT

Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Ah, it' not about finding loopholes Sam, it's about
> understanding the language in the current draft.
> The draft talks about writing bridge code to category
> X works as something that is OK for our projects to
> do.  If they do write brigde code to GPL'd works,
> then it sounds like there's going to be an awful lot
> of GPL licensed software in our repository if we
> accept the FSF's position.  I don't like that
> prospect, personally, but if the ultimate
> answer is to make GPL dependencies verboten,
> I guess that's ok.

That is the major difference between the GPL and LGPL. With the LGPL you
can write bridge code, with GPL you cannot. The only way to really get
around that is if the API you are writing to came first and was non-GPL
and then someone creates an implementation under a GPL license.  For
example, if JBoss AS was under GPL I doubt anyone writing applications
that strictly conform to J2EE would care.

Ralkph