www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:39:55 GMT

Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Thanks Justin, that's what I was looking for.
> Staying away from GPL because the owners of a work
> want you to is a perfectly fine policy position
> to take.  But in the Hibernate case, they are
> granting us an interpretation of LGPL that is
> incredibly favorable to the ASF, and simply
> ignoring that for policy reasons alone
> doesn't make much sense to me.

Hibernate's interpretation seems to be slightly different than the
FSF's. They seem to be saying that Hibernate can be used by code with
any license, even one which prohibits reverse engineering. The FSF's
position seems to be different than that. Frankly, under these
circumstances I'm not sure what the right answer is.