www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:18:54 GMT

Joe Schaefer wrote:

>> that depends on what you mean by derivative work :-)
>>
>> AIUI the GPL 2.0 includes a redefinition of the
>> term. if you accept the
>> license, the FSF claims that you agree to play by
>> their rules. this
>> linking scenario is definitely what the FSF had in
>> mind when they drew
>> up the GPL and (in the past) they have been
>> aggressive in enforcing
>> these provisions.
>>

> But I did not say "linking", which is a relationship
> between two binary files, I said "using".  In C,
> there is a concept known as loadable modules.  It
> is my opinion that a closed source distributor of
> loadable modules for httpd may package some GPL'd
> modules into their distribution, and as long as
> they honor the terms of the GPL on those modules,
> they need not do so on the others.  Even if those
> other proprietary modules make optional calls into
> the GPL modules' interfaces.

I'm having trouble understanding why you keep replying with your own
opinion to everyone that gives a response you don't like. I sent you the
link to the FSF page where they explicitly state that they see no
difference between C and Java when it comes to linking. Here it is
again. http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl-java.html.

How much more explicit could this be? "When the application is compiled,
function signatures are checked against the library, creating a link."

Now you can choose to believe that this is a bunch of hooey. I choose to
believe that if you don't adhere to this they are going to sue you.

Ralph