www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 04:06:35 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:35 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> We have in our notices file this:
>>
>> The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of the code
>> with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
>> and are placed here unaltered.
>>
>> Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>>
>> From the above discussion, it would seem this should be removed,
>> because it is not "required".  Is this correct?
>
> I don't know.  The text certainly should be fixed, since we can't
> make sense of what the notice applies to now.  Why did it get there
> in the first place?
Sorry - the text snippet is missing the context - The whole notice file is:

    Apache UIMA
    Copyright 2006, 2008 The Apache Software Foundation

    Portions of UIMA were originally developed by
    International Business Machines Corporation and are
    licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
    "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
    "IBM UIMA License Agreement".

    The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of the code
    with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
    and are placed here unaltered.

    Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.

During a previous incubator release vote, a question came up about
this.  I think the last part about copyright notice(s) was originally
inserted in response to a reviewer on Jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-332 stating:

    Wasn't UIMA started with an initial code contribution? If so, I would
    expect its NOTICE file to include some sort of attribution; see:
    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
    http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt>

The "attribution" is covered, I think, by the paragraph starting
"Portions of UIMA were originally developed ...".  I think the
suggestion to insert the original copyright notice was made at that
time, so we did it.  But it seems to me it is not "required", and so
should not be included.  I don't see it in  the few other projects I
checked.

-Marshall