www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 01:28:35 GMT
Roy,

First, I tend to mostly agree with what you had to say so I'm not going
to comment much on it. I think the way you described the FSF, GPL and
the way Apache has chosen to deal with them fairly well.

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Hibernate is just another platform component unless we redistribute
> it ourselves.  There is no reason to limit the ASF to working on
> BSD-based platforms.

This is just personal opinion here so there is no right answer, but I
don't really agree with this sentiment. If your employer decided,
despite your objections, that it wasn't OK to require your customers to
install Hibernate themselves, nor did they wish to distribute it, you
would be faced with 2 choices: a) don't use the ASF software or b)
modify it to not depend on Hibernate. By saying ASF software can't
require something under the LGPL even as a system dependency (but can
require it as an optional dependency) the effect is to make it available
to a larger user base.

Ralph