www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:50:31 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Sometimes our downloads do not include code from third parties.  That
> may free us from obligation, but it is important to realize that it is
> our intention to enable licensees of our code (this would be the
> "second" parties involved in this third party discussion) to do with
> as they please -- limited only by the the terms and conditions
> specified in our license.

I have trouble with this part: "our intention ...". I don't see that
from www.apache.org, the only place where I could see that it might come
from is this extract on the licence page:

   "The result is a license that is supposed to be compatible with other
open source licenses, while remaining true to the original goals of the
Apache Group and ..."

but I can't find any definition of what the original goals were.

So I, and possibly others, have trouble making policy decisions based
upon inferences from the ALv2. The majority of members may be unaware of
this "hidden policy" and may not agree with it.

> Our code having dependencies that would be incompatible with any or
> all such uses effectively defeats the purpose behind us selecting such
> a liberal license.

So for the example of some Apache project that is correctly ALv2
licenced but requires some GPL code to function, the proposal would be
to disallow these types of uses by disallowing the ASF even distributing
the project:

   - using the code in a book as examples
   - using the code in a programming course
   - using the project and the GPL code in-house with no intention to
ever distribute

??

Dan.