www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Legal Wiki] Update of "3party" by SamRuby
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:02:13 GMT
Can we add something specifically about the LGPL and/or Hibernate. This
seems to come up as the most frequently asked question.

Apache Wiki wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Legal Wiki" for change notification.
>
> The following page has been changed by SamRuby:
> http://wiki.apache.org/legal/3party

>   || <!> ||<:80% #FFFF00> '''''Draft''''' || <!> ||
>
> - Determining whether any given third party licensed work is compatible with the Apache
License is not something that can unfailingly be determined algorithmically.  Often the decision
depends on the [:3party/context:context or the way the dependency is used].  Therefore, each
PMC in conjunction with the [http://www.apache.org/legal/ ASF Legal Affairs Committee] is
entrusted with the responsibility to make the decision as to whether or not a given dependency
is acceptable.  Additionally, each PMC is expected to inform the board via [http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
quarterly board reports] whenever there is a significant change in dependencies.
> + Determining whether any given third party licensed work is compatible with the Apache
License is not something that can unfailingly be determined algorithmically.  Often the decision
depends on the [:3party/context:context or the way the dependency is used].  The PMC is in
the best position to make that determination.  Many times these issues are complex, or have
been dealt with before in somewhat related contexts.
> +
> + Therefore, each PMC in conjunction with the [http://www.apache.org/legal/ ASF Legal
Affairs Committee] is entrusted with the responsibility to make the decision as to whether
or not a given dependency is acceptable.  Additionally, each PMC is expected to inform the
board via [http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair quarterly board reports] whenever there
is a significant change in dependencies.  This enables the board to provide a check and a
balance when needed to ensure that principles are applied consistently across the foundation.
> +
> + This wiki contains summaries of, and links to, examples of how various PMCs are dealing
with third-party licensing issues.

under the [http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Apache License, Version 2.0]
>    * Users of Apache products must be provided with all licensing terms applicable to
any part of the product and must be given [:3party/notice:prominent notice] when any of those
terms include restrictions significantly different from the Apache License.