www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Summarizing how we dot the i's
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:03:06 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>  >
>  > > In Larry's talk today at OSBC, the subject of what Apache do beyond
>  >  >  the usual level of a SF.net project came up and I didn't think we had
>  >  >  anything on a single page that someone could be pointed to to get the
>  >  >  full picture of what we do.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Here's a draft, very very weak now I'm sure, listing the bits that we do.
>  >  >
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/process-draft.html
>  >  >
>  >  >  Any thoughts on:
>  >  >
>  >  >  a) Adding a drafts/ directory to SVN to put this stuff in rather than
>  >  >  living in ~foo.
>  >  >  b) Whether this page should exist? [maybe there already is one that I
>  >  >  just can't find?]
>  >  >  c) What needs to be improved on this page. I'm sure it needs a lot of
>  >  >  work to i) get it all in there and ii) make sure we're not overstating
>  >  >  anything.
>  >
>  >  One scenario not covered - and perhaps its not permitted - what about
>  >  if someone wants to copy some code from another source that has a
>  >  permissable license? For example Spring is licensed under AL 2.0 - so
>  >  in theory I could copy some Spring code into an ASF project with no
>  >  problem. I guess the answer would be "go ask the spring people to sign
>  >  a CLA" - but what happens if I get no response from Spring?
>  >  License-wise this is OK - but I guess/assume policy wise its not
>  >  allowed by the ASF?
>
>  It remains under the Spring instance of the AL 2.0 license. So is
>  covered by the third party bit.  Might need mentioning.

To reinforce Henri's point: we do *NOT* need a CLA.  We need a
license.  For an original work by a developer, we need a license from
that developer (i.e., a CLA).  For an existing project licensed under
the AL 2.0 we have a perfectly acceptable license.

What we would need in that case is clearance:

  http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

- Sam Ruby