www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Similar terms to AL 2.0
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:47:10 GMT
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> [Once it's sync'd], our list of licenses with similar terms to AL 2.0 is at:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
>
>  Given that that list was created a couple of years back, and the
>  additions were just organic, I'd like to start this thread for other
>  ones that people think need to be added.

Overall, I'd prefer if we had actual use cases before we start adding
new license.

>  Here's my starter list:
>
>  * Artistic License (list variants?)

Artistic 2.0, clause (7) looks troublesome.

>  * Ruby License

Section 4 specifies some limits when applied to the MRI itself, but
these limits do not apply to other software distributed under this
license.  Using (but not distributing) the MRI itself is a an
acceptable system requirement.

This makes it confusing to document.  Ruby is category A except when
it is not, in which case it is OK.  That's why my preference is to
start a page on things that can be considered 'systems' and simply
state that "anything written in Ruby and made available under the Ruby
license is OK as a dependency for a project written in Ruby".

>  * Microsoft Public License

+1

>  * ASL 1.0 [Or possibly here we just say OpenSSL]. This has the
>  advertising clause - do we consider such a thing similar terms?

Could be consider a "restriction significantly different" from Apache
License 2.0.  I presume that there is a good reason that clause was
dropped.

>  Hen

- Sam Ruby