www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Multiple licenses for Apache projects?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:26:31 GMT
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>   > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>   >> No. This is against ASF policy. Legally, we can do anything
>   >>  we want, but policy-wise, this is forbidden.
>   >
>   > +1
>   >
>   > A (little) more detail can be found here:
>   >
>   > http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>
>  Interesting, if that page is policy, then don't we already have a simple
>  clean 3rd party distribution licensing policy?
>
>  <quote>
>  The Apache Software Foundation does not allow its own projects to
>  distribute software under licenses more restrictive than the Apache License
>  </quote>

That statement is echoed in the draft 3rd party policy.  I have no
problem with it as a first order approximation, for use as a
supporting argument in the GPL compatibility discussion.
Additionally, people want it to cover dependencies; that's where most
of the discussion lies.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  If you dig into the svn logs for that page, you will see that it
used to be considerably longer, and reflected our (mostly Roy's)
attempts to understand what the compatibility issue was that the FSF
saw between GPLv2 and ALv2.  Now that GPLv3 is out, the page has been
simplified.