www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:23:57 GMT
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>  > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Joe Schaefer
>  > <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >  So there are two issues as far as copyright goes
>  > > then,
>  > >
>  > >  1) what is the licensing on the tarball we
>  > >    distribute,
>  > >  2) what is the licensing on the executable that
>  > >    the user (ie second party) actually runs?
>  >
>  > Yes for 1.
>
>  Perhaps we should refine #1 to ask "What is the
>  licensing on the actual product we distribute?".
>  This would allow us to ignore questions about build
>  dependencies and test suite dependencies and startup
>  scripts, since the licensing on those chunks of
>  software do not impact the licensing on the actual
>  product.

Then there are components like JSP which compile things on the fly,
and scripting languages which have no build dependencies.

For any rule you try to make, I useally can quickly find a
counter-example.  That tends to make me handy to have around at times,
and so darn infuriating at others.

- Sam Ruby