www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:57:49 GMT

--- Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Joe Schaefer
> <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >  Perhaps we should refine #1 to ask "What is the
> >  licensing on the actual product we distribute?".
> >  This would allow us to ignore questions about
> >   build
> >  dependencies and test suite dependencies and
> >  startup
> >  scripts, since the licensing on those chunks of
> >  software do not impact the licensing on the
> >  actual
> >  product.
>
> Then there are components like JSP which compile
> things on the fly,
> and scripting languages which have no build
> dependencies.

Copyright law concerns tangible expressions of
authorship.  Software which compiles things "on
the fly" then would impact the licensing on the
runtime (executable), not on the tarball we
distribute.

It is my position that until the policy addresses
the two questions I have asked as separate issues,
we will continue to chase our tail here.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs