www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:34:53 GMT
Criterion #2 states:

  The license must not place restrictions on the
  distribution of independent works that simply use or

  contain the covered work.

It seems to me that the ServiceMix case under
discussion exemplifies this situation, where they wish
to use JBOSS as an optional work, and include some
glue
code (presumably under the Apache License) in their
product.

If LGPL does not violate criterion #2, then the
current policy allows them to do this without approval
from the legal-affairs committee.  But if it does
violate it, then according to the document both the
PMC
chair and the legal-affairs chair must approve.

Would it be possible to produce a list of licenses
which satisfy criterion #2, and add them to the
policy?

Personally I don't understand criterion #2, because to
my thinking independent works shouldn't even care
about
3rd party licenses.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs