www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache License 2.0
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:23:29 GMT
Hi Sam,

I'm afraid the referenced link is not applicable to this situation.

1. Take a close look at the proposed separator between the new license
and the Apache license:

* This file incorporates work covered by the following copyright and
  * permission notice: *

Note that the Apache header we've been using since 2004 does not
include a copyright notice. It seems somewhat disconcerting to
advertise "the following copyright" when there is no copyright.

2. The term "covered" is ambiguous, as it is both a past tense and a
past participle that can be used as an adjective. The language doesn't
make it clear whether this file is currently covered [adjective] by
the license (which would be wrong) or was in the past covered [verb]
by the notice (which is correct).

Would it be possible to ask our SFLC buddies to write a piece that
specifically applies to the current version of the Apache license?

Craig