www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legal files and maven automation
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:27:16 GMT
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

>  > Two thoughts:
>  >
>  > 1) How is the end-year of the copyright done? AIUI, that should be the
>  > year of last edit and not the year in which it is built. So if I build
>  > something that hasn't been touched in a year, it should still have
>  > last year's year on it.
>
>  I think it is the current year.  I could argue that this is only
>  relevant for releases, at which time the version in the pom has
>  changed, and the pom is included in the artifacts, therefore
>  something has changed, but that argument is a bit weak.  Personally I
>  think having a copyright date range from project inception to now is
>  better than having definitely out-of-date NOTICE files included in
>  most or all artifacts, which is positively assured if this process is
>  done by hand.
>
>  Is this a blocker?

Not sure.  Sam/others?

I'm never sure if this is pedantry or critical.

>  > 2) Add a macro language for the license/notice so it can pull things
>  > in from the transitives when added in. It should also fail when it
>  > can't find said license information. At least for the LICENSE part as
>  > that applies to all licenses etc. I'm not sure we have NOTICEs in the
>  > Maven repository.
>
>  I thought the whole point of the discussion up to now on what goes in
>  LICENSE and NOTICE files is that they definitely apply to ONLY what
>  is actually IN the artifact and not any of its dependencies or what
>  might be required to actually use the artifact in any meaningful
>  way.  Given that I said that rolling up LICENSE and NOTICE files for
>  artifacts that assemble and contain other artifacts such as wars and
>  ears is out of scope for this proposal, I'm very confused about what
>  you might be suggesting.  Could you please clarify how this macro
>  language would apply to this proposal?

Let's say I include a few of the jars in my distribution, but not all.
Then I'll need to add some of the LICENSE files and not other. It'd be
nice to just put in:

%{org.commons.apache/lang/LICENSE}

That way if I update to Lang 8.0 and it's AL 3.0; then the license
gets auto updated.

>  I'd really prefer to discuss the actual possibility of using exactly
>  what I am proposing in this thread on legal-discuss and discuss
>  possible enhancements and improvements elsewhere.  There is a
>  gigantic tendency on legal discuss to have infinitely long
>  discussions with no conclusion, but I would like to know if there are
>  actual problems with using this actual resource bundle right now in
>  projects I would like to release this week.
>
>  Could we restrict all discussion of possible future enhancements to
>  the maven-dev list?

Will do. Answering your question above as I'm not on maven-dev - if
it's worth following up, please cc me.

Hen