www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A MySQL/GPL question for a change
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:21:10 GMT
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:24 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just to provide a little variety in the LGPL discussions...

*cheer*

>  At Geronimo I'd like to propose releasing some plugins that enable
>  running Roller on geronimo.  One of the options lets you use MySQL as
>  the database.  Geronimo plugins are basically configuration
>  information and possibly repackaged code.  This particular release
>  would not include any java source code but the binary portion of the
>  release would include repackaging Roller and Tranql connector binary
>  code.
>
>  1. The default set of plugins uses Derby as the database.
>
>  2. If a user wished to use the mysql database plugin they would have
>  to obtain and manually install the mysql java driver into geronimo
>  before the geronimo tools would install the mysql database plugin.
>
>  3. The plugins are built using maven.  The only information about the
>  mysql driver actually needed by the build is the artifact (groupId,
>  artifactId, version, type) of the mysql jar (i.e. where it's found in
>  a maven repository), but for some reason maven is downloading the jar
>  anyway.
>
>  4. No geronimo code depends on mysql code in any way.
>
>  5. MySQL is GPL with a FOSS exclusion that appears to say that open
>  source software can link to it without needing to be GPL.

Agreed.

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html

However this again brings up the sublicensing question. The exclusion
above would seem to go away if the plugin were included in a product
which was not 100% made up of FOSS licenses.

>  6. Tranql is a codehaus project with apache license version 2.  Two
>  classes in the tranql mysql adapter directly use mysql classes.

Painful.

>  These classes are repackaged in the mysql-roller database plugin.  If
>  we've understood the FOSS exclusion tranql's asl license is
>  consistent with its use of mysql classes and its use with roller is
>  also OK.  Anyone wishing to use the tranql mysql adapter with non-asl
>  licensed software would have to figure out the mysql licensing
>  situation for themselves, but this should not affect the tranql license.

Seems so. With the issue being that tranql in a product with non-Open
Source would need to go get a deal with Mysql (Sun now). What seems a
bit weird is that all you get an exception to do is to distribute - I
don't know if it matters that they don't say use/copy/modify etc.

Another painpoint - what about Open Source licenses not listed?

>  To summarize,
>  -- use of the mysql database plugin requires the user to  explicitly
>  acquire and install the mysql jar: geronimo will refuse to install
>  the plugin until this has happened.
>  -- building the mysql database plugin does download the mysql jar but
>  this is not used in any significant way nor included in any way in
>  the build artifacts.
>
>  Does anyone see any problems with this?  If so, does this mean that
>  all information about how to run any apache product with  mysql
>  should be removed from apache?

License-wise, I think it's good. Policy wise, there's the open
question on whether we require the ability to sublicense our packages
or not, and the general complication of introducing this in terms of
making sure it's never packaged with another license [Sun Spec
license; BEA Spec license jumping to mind].

I don't see that information on how to work with MySQL would need to
be removed.

Hen