www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legal files and maven automation
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:43:35 GMT
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:44 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's what it does:
> By default, the LICENSE file is the standard apache license.  The NOTICE
> file is generated from a velocity template; here's an example of the output
> (between ----- lines which are not included)
> Geronimo :: Directory Plugin
> Copyright 2003-2008 Apache Software Foundation
> This product includes software developed at
> Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
> In the 99% of the time when this is the correct LICENSE and NOTICE, that's
> all you do.  In the remaining 1% of the time where additional information is
> needed appended to these standard files, you put the additions in
> src/main/appended-resources/LICENSE
> and
> src/main/appended-resources/NOTICE
>
> In the remaining 0.1% of the time where the standard files are not correct
> you can arrange by other means to insert custom LICENSE and NOTICE files.

Looks good to me.

Two thoughts:

1) How is the end-year of the copyright done? AIUI, that should be the
year of last edit and not the year in which it is built. So if I build
something that hasn't been touched in a year, it should still have
last year's year on it.

2) Add a macro language for the license/notice so it can pull things
in from the transitives when added in. It should also fail when it
can't find said license information. At least for the LICENSE part as
that applies to all licenses etc. I'm not sure we have NOTICEs in the
Maven repository.

Hen