www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: (qpid) Diversity
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:33:58 GMT
On Monday 10 March 2008 15:24, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Exactly; not every computer professional to walk in to their boss/client
> and say "hey - I want to invent software for us, and publish it however
> I like".  But it's feasible to say "hey - we could accomplish x, y and z
> if I was contributing changes to this code we use to the ASF, but I need
> this agreement signed off since my employment agreement / work for hire
> ownership issues are in my way from doing that".

Yes and No.
We say that ASF requires the CCLA, even for individuals that are in
jurisdictions/situations where it is superflous. THAT is different from the
scenario described above. AFAIK, we don't say; "If you are uncertain of your
rights, please have your employer sign the CCLA for your own protection
against your employer, and the ASF will keep it safe for you.", which seems
to be a more accurate description of reality.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er