www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Legal Wiki] Update of "3party/notice/discuss" by RolandWeber
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:06:30 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Legal Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by RolandWeber:
http://wiki.apache.org/legal/3party/notice/discuss

   * The NOTICE file also contains the line {{{Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation}}}.
What are the rules for {{{[yyyy]}}}? Is it only supposed to be the year of release? Originally
when the copyright years were in the source files, I believe the rule was that the year was
supposed to be updated every time there was a substantial (copyrightable) change.
    * [!SamRuby] it is my understanding that the [http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#fnv
minimum necessary] is to put the year of first publication, and that (in the US at least),
copyright [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension_Act lasts for
95 years]; and therefore should be updated more frequently that that for works expected to
still be of any value beyond that term.  I've also seen some people put forward some non-legal
reasons for suggesting that the year be kept current, but in general skipping a year or three
doesn't seem to raise any significant concerns.
    * [!SebastianBazley] In that case, the example NOTICE file above is wrong, unless the
Apache HTTP server was first published in 2008 ;-)
+   * [!RolandWeber] What I've seen elsewhere is two years, where the first records the initial
copyright and the second is updated after significant changes. [http://www.cement.ca/sametime/stquickstartguide/H_QSG_CRIGHT_4075_OVER.html
example]

  [!HenriYandell] Comments
   * Should we provide a 'how to do attribution' section against NOTICEs for each license?
I'm thinking of the recent discussion on CPL and how it should provide a link to the original
homepage.