www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:51:57 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> No, it is not correct.  Thank you for pointing out where the bad advice
> is coming from on our website.
>
> NOTICES is for mandatory attributions *only*.  The kind of things you
> expect to see in an About... box when required by the licensed component
> or by the CCLA or software grant.  It should not contain any horizontal
> rules (or anything else that isn't strictly necessary).

Ah thanks. That switched a light-bulb on for me, especially the
part about horizontal rules. NOTICE and LICENSE are intended to
be displayed by different means to make the user aware. We need
to make it easy for them, and don't interrupt their reading.

See ours at Forrest, where we have an explanation so that committers
and users know what the file means...
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/NOTICE.txt

The purpose of this NOTICE.txt file is to contain notices that are
required by the copyright owner and their license. Some of the
accompanying products have an attribution requirement, so see below.
Other accompanying products do not require attribution, so are not listed.

Is that okay? (I will remove the lines soon of course.)

Back to the revelation above via the "About... box" comment:

The LICENSE file has a similar need. Viewable in one place
by the user.

At Forrest we have an issue. We package many different supporting
products to make it easy for the user. We have a license file
next to each jar file using a naming convention *.license.txt
Each file is the copy that the supporting product provided.
They all do not impose conditions beyond Apache License 2.0

Knowing the requirement to append licenses to LICENSE.txt
i have added a listing of filenames (~85) to that file.
The next step is to develop a tool which can scan LICENSE.txt
and search the tree for license files. That way we could add the body
of each distinct license type and list which products use it.
The tool would report to our release manager if stuff was missing.
Otherwise it is very hard to manage.

A dream, but i might get there.

It urges me to use Ivy. Would that help to automate production
of a compound LICENSE.txt that the RM can add to the release.

-David