www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:11:58 GMT
On Mar 10, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Sorry - the text snippet is missing the context - The whole notice
> file is:
>
>    Apache UIMA
>    Copyright 2006, 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>    This product includes software developed at
>    The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
>    Portions of UIMA were originally developed by     International
> Business Machines Corporation and are
>    licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
>    "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
>    "IBM UIMA License Agreement".
>
>    The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of
> the code
>    with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
>    and are placed here unaltered.
>      Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>

> During a previous incubator release vote, a question came up about
> this.  I think the last part about copyright notice(s) was
> originally inserted in response to a reviewer on Jira https://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-332 stating:
>
>    Wasn't UIMA started with an initial code contribution? If so, I
> would
>    expect its NOTICE file to include some sort of attribution; see:
>    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt <http://
> www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt>
>
> The "attribution" is covered, I think, by the paragraph starting
> "Portions of UIMA were originally developed ...".  I think the
> suggestion to insert the original copyright notice was made at that
> time, so we did it.  But it seems to me it is not "required", and
> so should not be included.  I don't see it in  the few other
> projects I checked.

It is not required when the copyright owner is making the software
grant,
but they may request it as a way of maintaining "standing" in regards
to defending the code copyright in a court of law.  IIRC, IBM wanted
that.

What I would do is simplify the NOTICE to merely state the facts:

    Apache UIMA
    Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation

    Portions of UIMA were originally developed by International Business
    Machines Corporation and licensed to The Apache Software Foundation.
    Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.

Note that this is fully descriptive and self-explanatory.  There is
no need to explain the history of "why" in a NOTICE.

....Roy