www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: fair use (was Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:30:00 GMT

--- Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> Back to what you started off with:
> ---
> The question to me is whether or not writing
> some glue code to interface with some 3rd party
> GPL'd code qualifies as fair use, and is therefore
> not considered by the courts as a derivative work.
> ---
>
> So, while the license or even the underlying
> copyright law may or may
> not be clear, many GPL authors are quite clear that
> they view any such
> 'glue' as a derived work.  As such, I sort of doubt
> we would go
> against their express desires - even if we could
> legally do so.  --
> justin

Thanks Justin, that's what I was looking for.
Staying away from GPL because the owners of a work
want you to is a perfectly fine policy position
to take.  But in the Hibernate case, they are
granting us an interpretation of LGPL that is
incredibly favorable to the ASF, and simply
ignoring that for policy reasons alone
doesn't make much sense to me.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?