www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:42:28 GMT
El lun, 03-03-2008 a las 13:52 -0800, Roy T. Fielding escribió:
> No, it is not correct.  Thank you for pointing out where the bad advice
> is coming from on our website.
>
> NOTICES is for mandatory attributions *only*.  The kind of things you
> expect to see in an About... box when required by the licensed component
> or by the CCLA or software grant.  It should not contain any horizontal
> rules (or anything else that isn't strictly necessary).  The only bits
> that this one should contain are:
>
>     Apache Shindig
>     Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>     This product includes software developed at
>     The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
>     This product includes software (Gadget Server, Gadget Container)
>     originally developed by Google Inc. (http://code.google.com/) and
>     licensed to the ASF as the initial contribution for Shindig.

My understanding was that keeping the MIT (or GPL license, as it is dual
licensed) for jquery.js was mandatory, and this license is in a separate
file in the original distribution. In fact, the only copyright
information in the external file is:

    * Copyright (c) 2007 John Resig (jquery.com)
    * Dual licensed under the MIT (MIT-LICENSE.txt)
    * and GPL (GPL-LICENSE.txt) licenses.

as the license was not imported into our tree. For this reason I pasted
it into the NOTICE file, as it is *mandatory attribution*. How should it
be done?

> A "copyright notice" is the one line that says "Copyright YYYY ...".
> It does not include the copyright license header.  It should not be
> moved unless its movement is requested by the owner of the file.

The MIT-LICENSE.txt file says:

    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
    included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

Not sure how to deal with it. And my understanding was that the NOTICE
file should include the License when it was mandatory. Wrong. I'll take
a look to send a patch to the documentation file.

Regards
Santiago

Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/