www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: What licenses in category X satisfy criterion #2?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:24:10 GMT
On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> This is just personal opinion here so there is no right answer, but
> I don't really agree with this sentiment. If your employer decided,
> despite your objections, that it wasn't OK to require your
> customers to install Hibernate themselves, nor did they wish to
> distribute it, you would be faced with 2 choices: a) don't use the
> ASF software or b) modify it to not depend on Hibernate.

Why is that our problem?  Our mission is to supply free software to
the public,
not self-interested corporations that make a profit on our work.  We
don't mind
if they do, but it is not our mission to support their needs.  I
don't care if
they have to modify it to depend on something else -- they can
contribute those
modifications just like anyone else.  It's their itch to scratch.

> By saying ASF software can't require something under the LGPL even
> as a system dependency (but can require it as an optional
> dependency) the effect is to make it available to a larger user base.

No, the effect is to make less software available to everyone.
Users are not affected by the constraints of the LGPL.

Besides, I work for one of those companies, and I know for a fact
that no such problem exists -- we have no worries about distributing
unmodified components under LGPL.  None of our peers care either.
We can read the licenses and obey them on our own, without hand-holding
from the ASF.

....Roy