www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Duplicating or not: things in License and Notice files
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:53:22 GMT
... 2nd try after being caught by the reply-to yet again ....

Geronimo has done something similar for some bouncy castle code which
has a similar license that says its also a notice.  However, I don't
understand why: it seems to me that this is possibly kinda nice for
the users but has nothing to do with  the requirements of the
license.  IIUC Roy has suggested that the NOTICE file should be as
short as legally allowable so I would expect leaving this out would
be more appropriate.

I can see including the entire license in the NOTICE file, which I
hope we don't have to do, but I don't understand the basis for us
making up a notice that isn't supplied by the licensor and doesn't
appear (to my uneducated eyes) to be required by the license.

thanks
david jencks