www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compatibility of Microsoft OSP and ASL v2?
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:06:26 GMT
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Nick Burch wrote:
> He tells me that Microsoft's legal team are currently pondering the
> problem, and hopefully we'll have an answer in a week or two

Microsoft have just got back to me. The answer seems good, but certainly
makes you appreciate just finding the license nicely attached with all our
software!

They pointed my at their white paper "There are no
IPR issues with Open XML", which can be found at
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102547511033.aspx>.
The answer to question 15 of that states that the copyright of the
specification has been given over to ECMA, so it's under their license.
Their email re-iterated this with:

   "Copyright is an expression of the invention such as
   documentation.  As such, it's Ecma that provides the copyright
   license for its Ecma documentation, and not Microsoft.  The white
   paper faq addresses this in more detail."

Finding a statement from EMCA on their license isn't the easiest thing,
but they do have two appropriate statements:

"All documents when approved shall be made available to all interested
parties without restriction."
http://www.ecma-international.org/memento/Ecmabylaws.htm - section 9.4

"Ecma International grants a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to obtain
(on paper or per download), reproduce and use the information contained in
its standards"
http://www.ecma-international.org/activities/Office%20Open%20XML%20Formats/Istvan%20Sebestyen%20presentation.ppt
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:VFa1IjFm7dAJ:www.ecma-international.org/activities/Office%2520Open%2520XML%2520Formats/Istvan%2520Sebestyen%2520presentation.ppt+site:ecma-international.org+license&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&client=mozilla
  - page 10

From all this, I believe we are fine to distribute the OOXML xsds within
apache poi (and any other apache project that wants to). Is that what
everyone else thinks too?

Nick