www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Compatibility of Microsoft OSP and ASL v2?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:57:19 GMT
For Apache POI, we'd like to be able to include some xsds with our
distribution, and also in svn. These xsds are part of Microsoft's
specification for OOXML (Office Open XML), and so are covered by the OSP
(Open Specification Promise) [1].

Having read through the OSP, I think it does allow us to ship the xsds
with POI, provided we correctly attribute them to Microsoft in our NOTICE,
and indicate that they're under the OSP. A recent review [2] of the
licence by Baker and McKenzie (a top London IP law firm) seems to support
this, and also with other open source licences.

Before we include the xsds, we wanted to check if this seems to be
correct?

Thanks
Nick

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx