www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: aclocal / Autoconf Generated files
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:01:23 GMT
On Feb 7, 2008, at 2:24 PM, Jennifer O'Neill wrote:

> GNU offers some interesting guidance on this issue.  The current
> Autoconf manual states that there aren't any licensing restrictions
> *now* on the configuration scripts that Autoconf produces, but
> under Autoconf v.1, they were covered under the GPL.  (See Section
> 19.1, http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html).
> Of course, the manual isn't dispositive, but this direction doesn't
> seem consistent with the copyright header if that script was
> generated by v.1.

The copyright header includes a license for unlimited redistribution.

The last time I looked, Autoconf specifically permitted the inclusion
of any autoconf-created files (and templates) under whatever license
you choose if the product makes use of autoconf for builds.  That is
why we can use it for httpd.

To answer the original question, the copyright header does not need
to appear in LICENSE because those files are all self-contained,
self-described files that only occur as source code in distributions.
See the recent clarifications from SFLC if you want a legal opinion
on such files from the FSF.

....Roy