www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject When to Incubate and when to directly donate
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:07:55 GMT
Hi,

I am looking for some guidance on a couple of issues that aren't clear
to me when starting up a new project (and it probably applies to
existing ones too).  Also, I am not sure whether this discussion is
best here or in Incubator, but I chose here b/c it seems it is more
about what constitutes a Software Grant, which goes beyond the
Incubator.

Currently, http://www.apache.org/licenses/ lays out making Software
Grants.   From what I can tell, it seems like there are several
options people have when it comes to donating code:

1. Click the little JIRA box that says you license this code to the
ASF.  This is how patches are handled
2. File an iCLA
3. Get your company to file a CCLA

2 & 3 may involve going through incubation.

What's not clear to me, is what is the threshold for donating code.  A
few lines of code clearly falls in #1 above and that seems
reasonable.  What about a working algorithm?  For instance, we
recently started the Mahout project over at Lucene (there was no code
existing prior to the start of the project) and individuals are now
contributing code that implements various algorithms for machine
learning.  They do this through process #1 just like any other project
that takes in new code, which seems fine to me.

However, a couple of other scenarios have come up.  A company has
contacted me about donating some of their internal code.  It has not
been released outside of the company.  What is the process for that?

Finally, what is the process for code that has been licensed elsewhere
under a different license?  The case for this one is a single file
containing an ANTLR grammar that describes a commonly used file format
in machine learning.  The author has said he is willing to donate it
to the ASF/Mahout.  Does this individual file have to go through
incubation since it was out in the wild under a different license?  I
guess I am being a bit paranoid about it, but it seems like it is a
bit hard to establish, through the JIRA process that the person
donating some piece of "wild" code is really who they say they are and
thus they may not have the rights to donate it.  But, then again, that
is completely true for anyone who has not filed a CLA and goes through
process #1.

Not sure if I am making myself clear, as the whole issue is fairly
muddy for me, so please ask me questions that might help me clarify
the issue.  I also hope I am not opening a huge can o' worms!

Thanks,
Grant