www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: More LGPL Questions
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:38:54 GMT
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Chris Custine <ccustine@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Agreed.
> >
> > The draft policy's intent is that the ServiceMix JBoss plugin would
> > live at the ASF, distribute as a binary + source but without the LGPL
> > dependencies being distributed by the ASF in any way.
> >
> > We've done this before; but not where it was expected to remain
> > forever. Previously the LGPL dependency was something that the project
> > moved away from over the medium term.
> >
> > The tricky part with regards to your question is that it's this
> > scenario which is the major grey area of the current draft policy and
> > the reason why it's still just a draft. While the policy remains a
> > draft, I'm not sure we're going to have a very solid answer.  This
> > does give us a great use case :)
>
> So is this a PMC issue for individual projects at this point, or is there an
> authoritative group that give a semi-official ruling here on legal-discuss?
> I'm trying to figure out how to get warm fuzzies before pursuing this  :-)

If httpd can provide optional integration into a proprietary operating
system(*), then I see no reason why ServiceMix couldn't provide
optional integration into an open source middleware.

If you expect that something significantly less than 50% of your users
will make use of this feature, then I would suggest that you simply
mention it in the next quarterly board report and move on.

- Sam Ruby

(*) http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/windows.html#winsvc