www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Compatibility of Microsoft OSP and ASL v2?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:58:36 GMT
On Feb 5, 2008 11:41 AM, Nick Burch <nick@torchbox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Sam Ruby wrote:
> > What is the copyright license associated with these XSDs?
>
> I believe it's the Microsoft OSP

I don't see the word "copyright" anywhere on

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx

> You get the xsds from the ECMA site:
>    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm
> which simply says "Copy these file(s), free of charge:"

Hmmm.  Would prefer some more specifics.

> The xsd files themselves have no copyright or licence information in them,
> or in the zip file they come in. So, I believe they're under the OSP,
> along with all the rest of the specifications

OSP appears to be a patent non-assertion covenant, not a copyright
license.  I have no doubt that a copyright license exists someplace,
but I have yet to locate it.

- Sam Ruby