www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: m4 files automatically under GPL?
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:10:05 GMT
On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 22:42 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
> <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> >
> >  FWIW, the same individual made the claim that all Bash scripts must be
> >  redistributed under the GPL.  The argument here is presumably under
> >  the same logic - since bash is usually GPLd, any Bash script must also
> >  be GPL'd.
>
> No, that individual (me) said that bash scripts effectively had a
> runtime prereq on product which was distributed under the GPL.

IT HAS NOT. THAT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT. Pardon my language.

I might have a complete rewrite of a shell here that I bought
(proprietary licensed) or has been written under another license (e.g.
ASLv2). Just because you don't have it, does not mean that it does not
exist.

Currently, the common interpreter for a programming language might be
under a certain license. This does not make scripts written in that
language also under the same license.

If anyone coughs up an interpreter for that language under another
license, are the programs automatically re-licensed?

You already moved from "there is only one environment to run this
program" to "this is a significant dependency for programs written in
that language" and now "due to the fact that this program usually needs
an environment under a certain license, they automatically have the same
license".

Insert "bash" for programming language and programming environment and
"GPL" for license.

I start to side with Greg in this discussion. It is pointless and
getting worse by the minute. Jeez, not even Stallman insisted that
programs written in GNU style C are automatically under GPL, even though
the only compiler that could build them is GPLed.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Gesellschaftssitz: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

            "Now this points of data make a beautiful line,
            and we're out of beta, we are releasing on time."