www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:57:39 GMT
On Jan 11, 2008, at 12:31 PM, simon wrote:
> Firstly, does this mean that it is ok for the NOTICE file published
> in a
> released module to be different (have more information) than the one
> checked in to svn?

Yes.  The NOTICE file must reflect what is in the package.  If someone
changes the package to add something that adds more required notices,
then our license requires that those notices be appended to NOTICE.

> Secondly, in the case of Java we are releasing what is effectively a
> single ".so" file, and embedding the license/notice in it. You would
> expect the notice in this case to include NOTICE (ie copyright) info
> about projects that it *links* to (ie depends on, but does not itself
> contain)?

No.  The NOTICE file only refers to what is contained within.
It is only when the dependencies are packaged together that the
NOTICE file has to change to cover all contents.

....Roy