www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Notice and License files in JavaDoc jars
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:01:37 GMT
Hi Niall,

I understand this to the policy on this issue [1]
"Does the policy apply to binary/object files, such as executables or
JAR files?

Yes. Even if there are no source files within the release, the
LICENSE file and NOTICE file are still both required within every ASF
distribution -- whether the unit of distribution is
a .jar, .msi, .tar/.?gz, .zip, .exe installer, or any other file
format used for distributions. For example, Windows .exe files must
not be used as a unit of distribution unless they are installers and
include the LICENSE and NOTICE files in their installation."

To me, this means that any release must contain the LICENSE and
NOTICE files. The question is "What is a distribution?"

The way I read it, if someone can download a documentation jar file,
it's a distribution. If someone can use maven to automatically
download a dependent jar file, it's a distribution. The only time a
documentation jar file can omit the LICENSE and NOTICE files is if
it's bundled inside a distribution that itself contains the LICENSE
and NOTICE files.

Craig

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html