www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:38:20 GMT
On Jan 13, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Our subversion is published within our own development groups and
>> made accessible to third-parties via svn externals.
>
> I'd like another opinion on this. I've not heard this view
> expressed by anyone else. But perhaps I misunderstand.
>
> To me, there is a very big difference between making an svn
> repository available for checkout by the public over which Apache
> has commit control; and having a release artifact that is
> replicated, mirrored, and under which Apache no longer has any
> effective control.

Copyright law has no concept of software development.  So, when a lawyer
looks at

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/

what the lawyer (or even layperson) sees is a website.

> Maybe you could point to some documentation that makes your point
> that the Apache svn repository is itself a distribution subject to
> LICENSE and NOTICE requirements.

The NOTICE file exists to fulfill our obligations under our license
and the licenses of any third-party code that we redistribute.
We try to be as proactive about that as possible.  The NOTICE is
in subversion because the board added a notice that all of our
projects must carry.  It needs to be in subversion when a
third-party something that requires such a notice is also within
subversion.  Finally, each release package's NOTICE must reflect
all of the required notices of all of the parts within that package.

Whether or not all three are the same static file or each one
is dynamically constructed based on the package/tree in question
just doesn't matter.  What matters is that the required notices
are always in the relevant NOTICE when they are required.

....Roy