www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:14:38 GMT

On Jan 12, 2008, at 2:58 PM, simon wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:14 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>> That publication (even without a formal release) is still under the
>> terms of our license, and because the ASF requires a couple lines
>> in NOTICE for all of our projects, the LICENSE and NOTICE files must
>> be in subversion (typically at the level under trunk).  The contents
>> are based on the source code within that tree.
>>
>> Tweaking maven such that it appends to the NOTICE file any additional
>> missing (non source tree) required notices for a particular build is
>> okay, though I bet it will be error-prone.
>>

> Sorry, but after reading this several times I still don't get this. It
> seems to me that the first paragraph says that we must have a static
> NOTICE file, while the second says that we can have a dynamic one.
>
> Do we require a static NOTICE file in subversion? If so, then how
> can it
> be right to embed a dynamic one in our distribution?

The only way I can reconcile these two competing approaches is for the
maven license plugin to be configured to *check* licenses and create a
LICENSE and/or NOTICE file that are consistent with the release
artifacts. The created/modified files can then be checked in manually.

If this isn't the case, I agree with you, Simon.

Craig