www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:13:41 GMT

On Jan 11, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 7:53 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think the answer is:  "No, but it's nice".  Equivalent to the
>> question of whether the website should have a page saying what the
>> license is.
>
> I disagree - I think all of our projects have to have LICENSE and
> NOTICE in SVN.  Not having them is silly.  Otherwise, where would
> their NOTICE file be kept?  -- justin

As you may have noticed from lots of posts recently, the maven-remote-
resources plugin uses a (configurable) template to generate NOTICE
files from other project information and uses an (again configurable)
LICENSE file from a (configurable) resource bundle.  Could you
explain why it is more silly to use this customized generation
strategy than to have hundreds of identical copies of the apache
license in a project's svn?

One possible danger of including the NOTICE file in svn is that it's
likely to be audited by the PMC only when a release is prepared.
Including it in svn may imply to the unwary observer that it is
accurate at all times.  Wouldn't requiring it to be accurate at all
times mean the PMC would have to vote on the NOTICE file after every
commit?

thanks
david jencks