www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Publishing GPL’ed files on Apache web servers
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:11:03 GMT
Hi folks,

I need to put GPL'ed files to my home page on Apache web server (i.e.
publish them). The guide [1] for committers is encouraging –
"…committers should know how to behave! …" But I have to admit that
I'm not 100% sure - IANAL and legal issues often puzzle me so I want
to test it here.

As I understand the policy [2] – it is targeted to Apache products.
That IMO doesn't apply to my case – i.e. the files are not included to
any Apache product that is released to the end users.  So From my POV
it is OK to put them to my home page.

Details:
In Harmony project we use JAPI tool [3] to measure API completeness.
The tool is licensed under GPLv2. To track the progress it would be
nice to have regular (i.e. for each snapshot) API completeness
reports.
Stuart Ballard of the Kaffe project is generously creating coverage
comparisons but they are not regular and include endorsed packages [4]
that we want to exclude from the report. So we'd like to take control
over the process. The tool compares RI's and Harmony's binaries and
generates html reports. The generated html files have no license
header so I assume that they are not GPL'ed. But hhe html files
produced depend on the japi.css file that comes with the tool (i.e. it
is GPL'ed). So the to get attractive presentation we need to take it
too. As I wrote about from my POV it is OK to copy&publish.

Am I missing something?

[1] http://apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#public_html
[2] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
[3] http://sab39.netreach.com/Software/Japitools/42/