www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Generated NOTICE files - is the content legal?
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:08:32 GMT
Hi,

Questions[1][2] have been raised on an Apache Commons regarding
whether the contents of the NOTICE file which has been generated using
the maven-remote-resources plugin[3] and apache-jar-resource-bundle[4]
is legal. For example Commons FileUpload 1.2.1 which is currently
being voted on includes the following NOTICE file:

    http://people.apache.org/~niallp/fileupload-NOTICE.txt

FileUpload depends on Apache Commons IO (which is not included in the
release distro) and as you can see above the generated file includes
details of the dependency's owner and license. I've looked at the "ASF
Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy":
  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

... which clearly doesn't require this - but it seems like a
nice-to-have feature and I can't see anything wrong with it. Theres
quite a bit of emotive discussion regarding generting this file, but
the specific question in hand is:

   "Is there anything legally wrong with the contents of the Commons
FileUpload NOTICE file which should prevent its release?"

tia

Niall

[1] http://commons.markmail.org/message/gb3mhf67myukpcok
[2] http://commons.markmail.org/message/xyzfglktyk56vkse