www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Status of dependency on LGPL'd library (Was: Re: [Legal] Why is this LGPL notice file in our SVN?)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:31:29 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> That would not be OK if RXTX were under the GPL, for example.  The
> current draft makes no distinction between LGPL and GPL.  I've heard
> statements that LGPL (as of version 2) is OK for C and C-like
> programming languages, but not for direct references from languages
> like Java, but indirect references through standard interfaces (such
> as JDBC) are OK.  So far, none of that is reflected in the current
> draft, nor would it apply to usage of RXTX by MINA.
>
> I've also heard a statement the the FSF has somehow clarified this for
> Java, but can not find any evidence that backs this up.  Can anybody
> provide a link?
>
> - Sam Ruby

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl-java.html.

I've had to read this several times. My summary:
1. Applications which import LGPL libraries need not be licensed under LGPL
2. The LGPL'd library must be able to be modified or replaced.
3. The trickiest one - they must be able to reverse engineer your code
to debug their modifications to the LGPL'd library.
3. If you distribute the LGPL'd library you must also make the source
available. If you don't distribute it then you don't.

The difference with the GPL is that if the library were under the GPL
then the application using it would be also.