www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:53:18 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
>> We don't intend subversion as a release distribution, but it is a
>> draft distribution, and drafts should resemble the final product.
>
> This might be true for your projects. It isn't close to true for many of
> the projects I work on. If subversion were a draft distribution there
> would be very little *release* creation.

Recall that we primarily license sources, not binaries.  Do you
extensively re-structure your source trees in releases?  I'd be
surprised, since most source trees include build scripts that assume the
source tree has a certain structure, and if you restructure things then
the released source tree might no longer be buildable.  But I suppose it
is theoretically possible for a distributed source tree to bear little
resemblance to the source tree in subversion...

Doug