www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:40:56 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> I think the best
> way to make sure we comply with this requirement is to add a
> NOTICE/LICENSE to every folder containing the following disclaimer:
> ------
> This is not a distribution site, but a developers area.
> You don't have any right on the content of this folder.
> You *may* find official releases of this code here:
> <an address for the releases>
> -------

I suspect this should be in addition to the existing NOTICE & LICENSE
files, rather than replacing them.  That way we hedge our bets.  In the
unpleasant case that a court determines that svn does constitute a
distribution, then we still have some protection.  We'd lose the
oversight of the release process, but not the oversight of the commit
process.

Doug